Volunteer Coordinator for Brockley Max
Max Media Arts is looking for an experienced volunteer coordinator to recruit, train and manage volunteers for the 2014 Brockley Max festival.
Brockley Max is an exciting and inspiring nine-day community arts festival for Brockley, Crofton Park and Ladywell. Now in its 13th year, the festival provides an opportunity for the local creative community to display their talents, and for the wider community to participate in a wide range of arts activities.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Brockley Max, so the volunteer coordinator is an essential role. Funding is available for 18 days between the end of April and the end of June and pays £100 per day.
The main tasks will be:
- To develop a volunteer programme for the festival and the organisation;
To advertise for festival volunteers;
- To recruit, train, manage and support up to 100 volunteers (including young volunteers) working on event management, security, administration etc.
- To review and update the organisation’s volunteer documents;
- To explore networking with similar organisations to share knowledge, best practice and volunteer opportunities;
- To explore added value such as becoming a Lewisham Time Credit organisation
- To evaluate the effectiveness and success of the volunteer programme for the festival.
The successful candidate will be employed on a freelance basis, and will have the following skills and experience:
- Experience of volunteer coordination
- The ability to act autonomously and as part of a team
- The ability to motivate and support others
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
- An interest in the arts and local community
The role will require a commitment of 18 days in the run up to and during the festival, consisting of:
Six days preparation (dates flexible between the end of April and end of May)
Eight days during the festival (30 May – 7 June)
Four days of post-festival evaluation to be completed during June.
To apply please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 April 2014. Informal interviews will be conducted in the week commencing 21 April.
Background about Brockley Max
Brockley Max is organised by Max Media Arts, a not-for-profit community interest company committed to creating arts projects in the community. The festival involves and engages residents and visitors of all ages and backgrounds through family-friendly activities, exhibitions, workshops and events, making it a beacon of civic pride and neighbourliness.
In 2012, Brockley Max attracting up to 5,000 attendees. This illustrates the area’s passion for the arts, one that is community focused, enriching lives and producing shared values. Events and exhibitions are held at more than 20 local venues throughout the eight days of the Brockley Max.
The festival’s main events are the Opening Night, a legendary evening of entertainment by leading local bands. This takes place in the heart of Brockley, near Brockley station on the first Friday of the festival. On the last day of Brockley Max we put on an ‘Art in the Park’ in Hilly Fields day with children’s workshops, plus a day-long programme of music, art and performance for all the family.